Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stay With the U.N. or Not?

I don’t know if we should stay with the United Nations. I used to be so sure that the organization was good for the world, but it seems, like any organization, it has its flaws. I don’t agree completely with either Seastrand or Monitor. There are drastic flaws in the Security Council as Seastrand pointed out. What I don’t think was mentioned, though was all the other programs that focus on such things as education or sanitation. After reading this packet and watching “Beyond the Gates”, I don’t think Monitor is correct in arguing the U.N. is only getting better and the United States should stay involved the way it is now. Are there inherit problems with the U.N.? I think so; the evidence points to that conclusion. Could the U.N. be remade? I’m not sure, but maybe it’s worth a try.

“…it is unlikely that universal peace will ever be attained” (G. Edward Griffin, The United States Should Withdraw from the U.N.). I don’t care how many scientific theories there are claiming it’s human nature, I still believe the world could achieve peace. Whither or not the U.N. has a role in that goal, I don’t know. But it’s worth a shot.

No comments: