Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Darfur

While David Rieff makes a strong argument, I disagree with most of his opinions. He claims that people are forgetting that politics are involved in the problem. All he seems to be saying is America is unpopular and if we step in with Darfur we’ll be seen as invaders. I don’t think that has to be the case, and I don’t agree when he says there are only two outcomes if America interferes. I believe that the situation is complicated, but when human beings are killed it’s not that complicated that there should be a question of whether to help or not. Rieff also claims it should be the work of the U.N. While the U.S. did make a mistake in Iraq, the U.N. isn’t that much better (Rwanda).

However, I don’t entirely agree with Lawrence F. Kaplan either. He claims that “Darfur can be saved by one thing and one thing alone: American power”. I think it’s arrogant to assume that America has ultimate power. This shouldn’t even be a debate; in America or the world. As Eric Reeves said, “How many must die before the world says, ‘Enough?’”

No comments: