Monday, June 1, 2009

Final Blog! YAY!

1.) I enjoyed the unit we did on censorship because I never knew how complicated it truly was. The “Thin Gruel” article was fascinating and surprised me how much textbook companies cut from their books.

2.) The cloning debate was another favorite of mine. I always thought that cloning was overall a bad idea but the articles we read presented a positive side to it. Along with cloning, the gender selection article was an interesting topic that I never knew much about.

3.) The battle between teaching evolution or creationism in schools was another topic I enjoyed. I never knew that creationism had such a large following of people trying to get it into school curriculum.

My favorite book this year is a tie between “1984” and “Nigger”. “Nigger” really showed the power and the controversy that words can have over people, races and society. I never knew how complex the word was and all its meanings. “1984” was my favorite to read as a story with a plot. In my opinion, it was the best book we read about the future of societies. It required frequent breaks to simply think about what Orwell was saying; I loved how complex the themes were.
My least favorite book was "Heart of Darkness" because it was really difficult to understand. I did enjoy the parts I could understand and I think I'll go back and reread the parts that didn't make sense to me.
*that picture is me escaping :) *

No comments: